Globally, beauty ecommerce is exploding. In fact, in 2020, online beauty brands accounted for 7.4% of total ecommerce sales, and it’s been rising at 4.75% worldwide ever since.
From makeup and hair care to fragrance and skincare, more and more beauty brands are launching online. As a result, consumers have never had so much choice and will pay more for higher quality. To stand out, beauty brands are having to step up their efforts in the ecommerce space and ensure they give their customers the best possible experience.
So, whether you’re thinking about launching your own beauty brand or looking for inspiration to update your ecommerce store, we’ve curated a list of the top 30 direct-to-consumer beauty brands on Shopify and Shopify Plus that are making an impact.
But before we deep dive into the power list, let’s look at the key components of a successful beauty ecommerce store and what makes these brands’ stores the best in the business.
What makes for a successful beauty and cosmetic website?
Ultimately, there are a lot of different components that make a successful ecommerce store. But having worked with many scaling beauty online retailers, here’s what they all have in common:
- Seamless user experience: Not only do these websites look aesthetically pleasing. Navigation is simple, frictionless and intuitive. Also, their online stores are super fast, pages load quickly with no disruptions.
- Products take centre stage: From simplistic web designs to high-quality product imagery, the below list of beauty brands show off their products in attractive, stylish, and dynamic ways. But they don’t just stop at product imagery, they make it easy for their customers to find product information with clear and concise descriptions, as well as display relevant product recommendations.
- User-generated-content (UGC): Each of these brands do an excellent job of displaying UGC at key customer touchpoints to help cultivate a community and boost confident purchasing decisions. This includes reviews, shoppable Instagram feeds and photography of customers using their products.
- A clear mission and strong branding: These online beauty stores have a recognisable look: clean, clutter-free and a memorable colour pallet. On top of that, customers know the brands’ stories and what makes them different from the moment they land on the homepage.
2. Fenty Beauty
10. CURRENT BODY
11. Pixi Beauty
12. Rare Beauty
14. Kylie Cosmetics
15. Beyond Polish
18. Carbon Coco
19. 100% Pure
20. Beard and Blade
21. Vanity Planet
22. Grace and Stella
23. Lime Crime
26. The Balm Company
27. Elf Cosmetics
28. Pattern Beauty
29. Pacifica Beauty
Ready to be the next big beauty brand?
If you’re feeling inspired by the success of these beauty and cosmetic brands on Shopify and want to hear more about what the platform can do for your business, get in touch with Velstar’s team of ecommerce experts. We specialise in end-to-end ecommerce solutions and love to speak to ambitious brands looking to scale.
In the meantime, check out these articles on our blog:
- 15 Top Grossing Shopify Plus Stores
- 35 Sustainable Brands on Shopify
- Magento to Shopify – Brands that made the move